Saturday, July 24, 2010

What I did on my summer vacation....

Objectives going into the MIAIR residency were to:

- develop a series of related forms for the soda kiln
- gain experience in firing the soda kiln
- develop surfaces for the sculptural form

The large sculptural forms reference... mountains... landscape... flight..

I tried a variety of clay bodies, including porcelain. Each provided it's own unique challenges; both in the making and in the drying. Given the time it took to get them kiln ready, there were limited opportunities to have the work included in scheduled soda firing. Hard to believe given there were 29 kilns (including bisque) fired during the month.  One piece found it's way into the wood kiln and another into a residual salt firing. They were the first two made and it was very gratifying to see the progression to the final works.

I had hoped to get at least one of the porcelain pieces into a soda firing but for a number of reasons, that didn't happen.  So it goes.

All things considered, it was quite a month! I learned a lot about clay...  and so much more.

Thanks Medalta!

No comments:

Post a Comment